As I reflect on my 2015, I am pleased to note that I leave it with a smile and a contented sigh. By other people's standards I certainly did not accomplish a lot, nor did I make everyone I care about happy; but I don't think that was what I needed to be my happiest/best self. I needed a quiet, focused, simple life in 2015 -- and that is what I got. I was inward focused, a serious homebody, and I stayed true to my 3 words for the year: Freedom, Growth & Joy. The result of doing so is that for once I ended a year thoroughly enjoying the journey, even if it had a few unexpected twists and turns.
Here are some of the things I will take away from the past year:
- Family is not defined by blood
- Sometimes the best most unselfish thing you can do is to just send someone love
- Letting go of expectations is a huge key to finding inner peace
- Freedom is waiting on the other side of silencing your mean voice
- Embrace stillness + quiet daily, only then can you hear your inner (true) voice
- You cannot please everyone
- True friends love you for who you are, not what you do for them
- Believe in the power of you, always, you are more powerful than you know
- Love is fuel
- Grand parenting is like a do over of all the good parts of parenting you slept through the first time around
- You are never too old to grow, change and embrace your full potential
I picked my three words to live by in the last few minutes of 2015. I think they found me -- reminding me that I cannot become the butterfly I was meant to be until I leave the safety net of my self-created cocoon. I believe these words will challenge me into a better version of myself in 2016.
My feelings, my ideas, my true self -- not only through writing but in little ways and conversations every day. I want to have the courage to truly be me, without doubt, regret, or explanation and without worrying what others might think.
My talents, my strengths, my imperfect self and my beautiful life. I want to allow in success and continue to believe that I am worthy of everything I desire.
It is time for the ideas and visions I have in my head to make their presence known to the world.
I won't promise to write more in the coming year as that feels more like a resolution than a direction, but I think it will happen naturally as a result of me keeping my three words at the forefront of my mind.
In 2016 I do promise to shine the brightest light I can. Even in the darkest moments of real life.